CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Get to Know...Joy

3rd grade. Poor me. Nice Teeth. Braces were my best friend.

                                                                                    2nd Grade
                                                      Thanks for the perm Mom.
                                   

        If you were wondering, I've decided to profile everyone in our family so that you can know us a little better.  And today I've decided to do me, since I am probably the easiest to write about.  You know, considering how highly intelligent, wonderful, charming, and......JUST KIDDING!!!   Boy do I have flaws, and I know it! 
        In 1998, I sensed a calling from God to full-time ministry, so off I went to North Greenville College to obtain a Christian Studies degree.  In 2002, I ended up in New Orleans at seminary.  During my last semester of school, I met Arnold, and we got married in 2005.  Three months later, Hurricane Katrina brought us back to South Carolina, and five months after that, the Lord brought us back to New Orleans.  In March of 2006, I started working at William Carey University, New Orleans, an extension center of WCU in Hattiesburg, MS.  I started out as the secretary and somehow found myself two and a half years later as the Director of Student and Administrative Services.  My job entails a lot of fun stuff-- planning student events, working with a great staff, advising students, meeting lots of new students; a lot of tedious stuff--planning the schedule, placing textbook orders, filling out contracts, keeping up with the budget; and a lot of not so fun stuff-- enforcing the rules and dealing with disciplinary issues.  I try to take advantage of any ministry opportunities that come my way through my job, as I believe that God has called me here right now for a specific purpose and plan.  I want to be found faithful. 
        Like my daughter Peyton(see post below), I have to admit, I am probably 90% of the reason she is like she is.  I too can be demanding, intense, bossy, and independent.  Just ask my husband. ;)  I like to think I'm a good delegator.  He would say I'm bossy.  :)  (It's the oldest child thing....just ask my younger sisters).  I also like to think that I am sort of a fun person?  I was crazy in high school, college, and seminary.  I think I've probably toned it down a bit since having kids and the fact that I'm so incredibly tired all the time!  These days a lot of what I do is just surviving.  I do not have it all together.  Sometimes my relationship with the Lord is inconsistent.  Sometimes my relationship with Arnold is inconsistent.  But I do know that the Lord is walking with me on this journey. ("Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen. Psalm 77:19)
        I never thought I would be in New Orleans this long, but we know the Lord has me (us) right where he wants me.  And who can totally understand His ways? 
        I absolutely love spending time with my kids and husband.  I do wish we were closer to family so that I could drop the kids off for a few days every now and then, I'll admit!  I love being outside, and if I am inside, I like every window open and door.  I used to run and be semi-athletic, now I get my exercise running up a flight of steps to the second floor of our townhouse 50 million times a day.  I love chick flicks, especially romantic comedies and I enjoy playing the piano at church.  I don't practice like I used to.  One of my favorite things to do with my family, apparently, has been to make up nicknames for them.  All of them have a nickname, some of them may not know they have a nickname (ha!), and I would never tell you their nicknames because it may embarrass them (ahhem, Janna). 
        I can't believe I'm about to hit 30 in four months, but life just keeps getting faster as the days get busier.

Stay tuned for more profiles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEVER EVER WILL MY NAME BE TOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joy said...

haha!

Stephen and Tara said...

Ah Joy! I am thankful for getting to know you the past 10 years!