CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 12, 2011

Sugar


One thing that I am is a sugar addict.  I love sweet things....cakes, cookies, candy, drinks.  I don't feel like a meal is complete without something sweet at the end.  In fact, when I was pregnant with Raegan and Janna (my sister) came and stayed with us that summer, I wrote a post about all the sweet things I baked that summer because of my cravings.  And since Janna is a fellow sweet addict, I had someone to indulge with. 
Anyway, back to the present, I've been convicted the last week or so about all the sugar I put into my body (and my family's bodies).  I've tried to limit the sugar to one sugary treat a day, but that's kind of hard.  Even when I go grab a snack, everything seems to have a ton of sugar in it....yogurt, raisins, granola bars.  The other alternative seems to be a bunch of salt....Chex Mix, chips, nuts.  I'm kind of stuck here.  Does anyone have any ideas for healthy snacking besides peanut butter or a great website you could send me the link to?  Fruit is a great snack but it lasts about 30 minutes and then I'm hungry again.  The same goes with fresh vegetables dipped in ranch dressing.  I'm in a rut here and would like some new ideas! 

2 comments:

Jenny Martin said...

I've been having the same problems recently. I apparently have gestational diabetes this time around and i don't want Brayden eating a lot of sugar or salt.
We eat a lot of cheese and crackers (you can get crackers that don't have too much salt)
also, buy plain or greek yogurt and just add fruit to it, that cuts down on the sugar a lot
I also started making my own granola bars. it's really easy, i use alton brown's recipe off food network. I substitute different nuts and fruit to keep it interesting (even drizzle some dark chocolate over them). they do have sugar, but it's a lot less than the store bought kind. they freeze good too.
make your own popcorn instead of buying the microwave bags. it's cheaper and you can control the salt (really good with some grated Parmesan cheese)
unsalted mixed nuts with some dried fruit, sunflower kernels and a few m&ms makes a great trail mix too (just enough chocolate to satisfy, but not enough to be too sugary)
hope those ideas help :)

Joy said...

Jenny, Those are some great ideas! Thanks for sharing!!!