CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 30, 2010

Simplicity

It seems like the last month or so, God has really been speaking to me about simplicity.  Why wouldn't the Christian life reflect simplicity?  Why do we(I) have to have the best, the newest, the latest, and the most expensive?  Why do Christians (I) feel the need to own the biggest, loveliest house on the block complete with granite countertops, a master bathroom "spa", and shiny hardwood floors?  Why do Christians (I) feel the need to have a new outfit every week from the trendiest store at the mall? Why do Christians (I) need to be entertained by the most expensive vacations, fanciest restaurants, and whatever else I find to spend my money on in order to meet this goal?  I know that our flesh falls into the same temptations of the culture, and before long we start looking like the culture around us.  But what about simplicity?  And not because "things" and "stuff" are ultimately bad and evil, but because we should  look different, and we should be using our abundant resources for a greater, eternal good. 
God has been sending me great literature the past month that focuses on this principle/discipline.  If you haven't read Radical by David Platt, you should pick up a copy.  Here's a link to a great article about the early church's views on simplicity, caring for the poor, and not turning simplicity into legalism.  And last, I was given a book by Richard Foster, The Freedom of Simplicity, by my good friend at the beginning of summer that I am going to start reading this weekend.  I'll let you know about it when I get finished. 
I don't exactly know how simplicity is going to look in my life, but I know the Lord will show me!  I will end with a great quote by Clement (this is taken from the article I linked):
"The handmaids of Christ should love simplicity.  Simplicity is the forerunner of holiness.  It smoothes out the inequalities of property.  A holy ornament should surround your wrists, the joy of giving and the diligence of the housewife.  On your feet should glitter untiring zeal in well-doing, and walking in the ways of righteousness.  Your necklaces and chains are modesty and simplicity.  Such jewelry comes from God's workshop."

No comments: